Parents' Association Report 2014-2015
As another busy year comes to an end for the pupils and parents of Skerries Community College we would like to update you on some of our activities during the year.
- We took part in the Open Night for prospective students and their parents in September. It was very well attended
- In October we held our AGM and used it as a forum to introduce our new Principal and Deputy Principal. We elected two parents to the new Board of Management of the College
- We helped with catering during the performances of 'Oliver', a fabulous show. We also requested and received many excellent prizes from local businesses for the nightly raffles.
- In January we organised, and heavily subsidised, two Study Skills Seminars which are of particular benefit to examination students.
- May was busy with our annual welcome evening for parents of incoming First Year students which was held on 14th. Rachel Breen, an Occupational Therapist, addressed the parents with advice on how to help the new student organise themselves. A mother gave her experience of being the mum of a first year student. Two very articulate First Year students and two Mentors also spoke of their experiences of First Year. Ms. Lennon, Deputy Principal gave a run down on the 'nuts & bolts' of starting in the College. Ms. Clarke, Principal, closed the meeting. Many parents lingered for a cup of tea/glass of wine and a chat.
- On Graduation Day we supplied copious buns and cups of tea for graduates, parents and guests. It was a very uplifting event.
- During the year we assist at various school vaccinations. For this and all events we call on our committee and on those people who have signed up to our Helpers list. We are very grateful for all the help given.
- Fund-Raising: We were kindly supported by the Skerries Theatre Group with first night proceeds of Tales of Ballycumber in October.
- We have supplied benches for the school canteen, a microwave oven for the 6th Year common room (one of our committee also gave them two kettles and two toasters).
- We are committed to the purchase of an information screen, with IT backup, for the College.
The Second-Hand Book Sale will take place on Thursday, 25th June. For the first time we will sell second-hand school jackets and skirts on a 'Sale or Return' basis. All clothes must be clean and in good condition.
The Parents' Association meet on a monthly basis, on the second Monday of the month, in the College Library. The meetings are finished now until September. We hope to see you at our AGM on Thursday, 17th September 2015.
Breda Shankey, Chairperson
The Parents Association is a structure through which parents/guardians can work together for the best possible education for their children. The Parents Association works with the Principal, staff and Board of Management to build effective partnership between home and school. The Education Act 1998 sets down the role of the Parents Association.
The College has a very active Parents Association. The Committee of the Parents Association is made up of approximately twenty parents of current students. This committee is elected at the AGM which is held annually in September.
The Committee is very active in fund-raising and helping with social or cultural events in the college. The Committee meets in the college on the second Monday for every month during the academic year
The committee for 2016-2017 is as follows:
Breda Shankey (chair)
Patricia Ward (Secretary)
Karen McCaffrey Guildea (PRO)
Carol Holland (Treasurer)
Anne Marie While (Teacher Rep)
Cormac Gorman (Parent rep on BoM)
Marie McCarthy Pender
Liz O Reilly
Alex O Brien